Job Title: Environmental Health Assistant
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing integrated, community-managed programs aimed at improving the quality of lives and recover of livelihood of disaster-affected population’s through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions and emergency response.
Environmental Health Assistant (EH Assistant) will be primarily responsible site level planning and supervision of the IRC water supply and sanitation facilities construction, rehabilitation and contract administration. The job holder also support and monitor construction activities that sub contracted to local contractor, manage skilled and unskilled labor, monitor construction materials, equipment and other resources under the project and reports periodically.
- Provide technical support at site level in rehabilitation and/or new construction of water supply facilities including motorized borehole, shallow wells, and rain water roof harvesting systems, and construction of sanitation facilities.
- Ensure that all construction materials, tools/equipment and machineries are available for each work as per the specification quality and quantity.
- Monitor labor required towards implementation of different activities and ensure the proper implementation of the same as per set norms and standards.
- Inspect and ensure the required quantity and quality of construction materials are delivered to construction sites by the contractors and/or suppliers.
- Evaluates and verifies contractor employee quality, performance through review of undergoing and completed work assignments and work techniques.
- Coordinates activities by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work of contractor employees.
- Inspects all WASH construction works and make on time correction and rectification actions to defected constructions.
- Facilitate and ensure water quality testing conduct to all water supply schemes.
- Follow proper safety procedures and ensure safe working environment and take action before any health or safety risk occur.
- Organize data and information, prepare and maintain records, documents and control plans for the monitoring of projects implementation and follow project activities as per the monitoring tools.
- Monitor and ensure proper management by water committees in Operation and maintenance of the schemes.
- Ensure proper application of IRC policies, and procedures in IRC field offices including donor regulations and government policies.
- Train water user associations/water committees in health facilities and rural communities on basic care and maintenance of water schemes.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports and submit to the supervisor on the work progress of water supply activities.
- Ensure that projects are completed on schedule, according to contractual conditions, within budget, and with adherence to high standards of quality construction.
- Takes additional works as assigned by supervisors.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: EH Officer.
Other Internal and/or external contacts: This role will collaborate and interact regularly with ERR, Health, CWI, Supply Chain, Finance, HR/Admin internally and with INGOs/NGOs, Government partners, Clusters and Task Forces externally.
- BSc Degree/Diploma in Water Supply, Construction, Water Engineering or related field from universities or colleges.
- 1-year experience for BSc holders and 3 years’ experience for Diploma holders.
- NGO experience is advantageous special on WASH projects.
- Good skill in managing construction sites.
- Good skill in mobilizing the community to contribute during construction.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- The good command was spoken and written English, Amharic and Afaan Oromo.
- Basic computer skills.