The Norwegian Refugee Council is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Area Manager in Multiple Positions/areas in Ethiopia
The Norwegian Refugee Council in East Africa and Yemen is proud to lead refugees, internally displaced people and displaced communities. We strive to be a pioneer and pioneer in hard to reach areas. We recognize sustainable solutions and make deliberate efforts to make our programs more sustainable.
We aim to provide the best possible service by adhering to our regional brands: evidence-based programs; advocate for program change based on species and markets; drive innovation; collaborating with other actors to achieve greater impact; integrate our programs to achieve maximum synergy and efficiency; and respect the diversity of staff.
In Ethiopia, the NRC has seven regional offices: Addis, Shire, Gambella, Dollo Ado, Assosa, Jijiga and Bole Hora, as well as the country office in Addis Ababa. In the coming months, the NRC will require new area managers in some of these sites. We are recruiting for several sites in Ethiopia.
The Area Manager has overall responsibility for the designated area and ensures that the NRC program in the region develops in accordance with the country-specific mandate, policies and strategies. The Area Manager is in a leading position and is a great opportunity to partner with one of the NRC’s most important programs in the East Africa and Yemen region.
Duties and responsibilities of Area Managers
- Provide general direction and oversight of the designated area
- Hierarchical management of senior project/program staff and support functions
- Member of Country Management Group (CMG)
- Ensure that the region respects and respects the NRC’s policies, directions and procedures
- Provide information specific to each area on core competency strategies, country strategy, and action plan
- Organize open, reviewed and closed meetings for grants at a local level
- Implementation of projects (including central support budgets and coordinated inputs for donor projects and reports) in the region, in line with contractual commitments (quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
- Assessing needs, developing emergency response and implementing response plans
- Ensure that resources are used to best effect in project budgets and that key skills strategies are allocated
- Represent the NRC and networks at a regional level
- Ensure that capacity building is provided for all staff in the region
- To ensure the general safety of the region’s staff
- Promoting refugee rights in line with the advocacy strategy
** A generic description of work is available on our website. but specific responsibilities may vary from a duty station to another station.
Qualifications of Area Managers
- Degree in a relevant and related field
- At least 5 years professional experience as a Senior Project Manager or equivalent in a humanitarian / recovery context
- Previous experience working in complex and volatile contexts
- Strong leadership skills, with previous experience of managing a team
- Work experience with displacement affecting populations
- Experience of a range of donors, with specific experience and knowledge of ECHO, the EU, UNHCR, UNICEF, and other important donors
- Experience in relations with institutional actors and government authorities
- Experience and manage programs within partner networks and / or consortia
- Experience of organizational representation, coordination, and liaison
- Experience in implementing multi-sectoral programs and developing and strengthening resilience strategies
- Work experience in the East African Region
- Strong communication skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Personal qualifications of Area Managers
- Management of unsecured environments
- Strategic thinking
- Strengthen and strengthen confidence
- Performance Management and Development
- Manage resources to optimize results
We can Offer for Area Managers
- Duty Station: Ethiopia. We are hiring Area Managers in multiple duty stations across the country.
- Travel: 50% travel within Ethiopia
- Contract Period: 12 months or 24 months depending on the duty station
- Salary/Benefits: Competitive compensation and benefits package. All staff in Ethiopia are liable to pay income tax
- An approved health clearance will be required before the commencement of the contract.
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and employees to check they have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose
Closing date: 17 Sep 2019
To apply, please visit www.nrc.no/vacancies
Females are highly encouraged to apply