The position: The International Centre of Insect Physiology & Ecology (icipe) seeks to hire four Field Accountants who will be responsible for assuring adherence to icipe financial policies, project policies and procedures, regulations, controls, and reporting systems at the field office. The Field Accountant will provide accounting and financial analysis support to the field office and will ensure submission of financial reports based on internal deadlines. This position will ensure compliance of all accounting and financial reporting functions and ensure project internal controls are established at the region and implemented in accordance with the centre’s policies and the terms of the project contract. They will be members of icipe Ethiopia office which is located at Regional Project Offices in SNNP, Oromia, Amhara and Tigray Regions, Ethiopia.
General: The International Centre of Insect Physiology & Ecology (icipe) is a pan-African and non-profit Centre of Excellence for research and development and capacity building in insect science and its applications. Its mission is to help alleviate poverty, ensure food and nutritional security and improve the overall health status of peoples of the tropics by developing and extending management tools and strategies for harmful and useful arthropods, while preserving the natural resource base through research and capacity building. Since its establishment in 1970, icipe has become a significant contributor to science and innovation required to meet the health and food security challenges of sub-Saharan Africa. The Centre has achieved this status by developing alternative and environmentally friendly pest and vector management technologies and products that are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and are affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities. Employing close to 500 international and national staff, icipe also has approximately 150 graduate students who contribute to its research portfolio annually. The Centre currently has operations in more than 40 African countries, and thriving partnerships with universities and research organizations across the world. For more information visit: www.icipe.org.
icipe is partnering with Mastercard Foundation to implement the MOre Young Entrepreneurs in Silk and Honey project (MOYESH). The purpose of this partnership intervention is to secure fulfilling and dignified employment and income for unemployed young women and men by scaling up integrated beekeeping and silk farming businesses, building on lessons learned from YESH project and leveraging the public-private partnerships that are already created. The MOYESH project targets to provide 100,000 youth with appropriate skills and to enable 100,000 youth (of which 60% are female) secure dignified and fulfilling work in four target regions of Ethiopia including the Amhara; Oromia; Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples’ Region (SNNP); and Tigray.
- Verifies all supplier invoices for accuracy and matching to receipt of services and goods. Ensures that all payment vouchers have correct account & budget codes,
- Ensures the travel authorization is correct, approved and in compliance with icipe travel policy requirements
- Performs accurate and timely processing of invoices, advances and reimbursements
- Prepares operation budgets and cash forecast for field offices
- Prepares and submits monthly reconciliation reports for review
- Monitors, prepares and submits details of outstanding advances, commitment, and sub-grant reports as applicable
- Prepare payments to suppliers, staff advances and event participants at the regional office;
- Ensures all staff advance settlements are processed in a timely manner
- Maintains records of payments and ensures that documentation on all payments are complete, accurate, and in line with icipe policies
- Ensures timely deposit of cash receipts (e.g. float surrenders)
- Handles petty cash of the field office and maintains proper petty cash recording
- Prepares petty cash payment voucher and processes cash payment within approved cash limit of the project
- Prepares bank reconciliations and routinely monitors bank account balances to ensure for an adequate cash float level to meet needs
- Ensures all financial document are delivered to icipe Addis country office in a timely manner and maintain a copy all documents for documentation;
- Responds to audit queries and follows up on audit recommendations
- Analyzes and reconciles project inventory and assets on a regular basis
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- Relevant professional certification
- Broad / specialized knowledge of methods, techniques and processes
- Minimum of five years’ work experience in a position with similar responsibilities, preferably with an international organizations or Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Advanced skill in computer (Microsoft Word, Excel and Accounting software)
- Good written and oral communication in English language
- Integrity and capacity to keep confidential information
- Ability to organize work and archives efficiently
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural organization
- Knowledge of ABW-OCS is an added advantage
- Ability to detect and report inconsistencies
- Accuracy and completeness with great attention to detail
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results oriented.
- Experience working effectively in multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional work environment
Duty Station: Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples’ Region (SNNPR), Oromia, Amhara and
Tigray Regions, Ethiopia
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICANTS NEED TO SPECIFY THE REGION THEY ARE APPLYING FOR.
Position level: HG 13
Minimum Base salary:
- Birr 19,112 per month (Negotiable depending salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. icipe offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits in line with ILRI salary applicable for its Nationally Recruited Staff. icipe is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter, a detailed curriculum vitae including names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees and a letter providing a point by point response to the essential and desirable person specifications. The position and reference number: FA/40/19 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 30October 2019.