Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Finance & Administration Assistant in Djibouti Ville, Ethiopia
Title; Finance and Administration Assistant
Location: Djibouti Ville
Reports to: Support Service Team Leader, Djibouti
Start of Contract & Duration: 6 Months
Employment Band-Based on DRC national salary scale, level 8
Deadline: 1 October 2019
DRC is an international non-governmental organization that provides assistance and promotes durable solutions for refugees and internally displaced people, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. The DRC Ethiopia & Djibouti Country program focuses on emergency response, protection, mixed migration, and livelihoods. DRC is implementing different protection, mixed migration, and livelihood projects in Djibouti and has an active role on the response to the influx of refugees coming from Yemen.
The Finance and Administration Assistant will assist the Support Services Team Leader to ensure that the programmatic needs in the Djibouti office are addressed and met in an efficient, timely, transparent, accountable and cost effective manner.
The main role consists of accounting: payments, recording transactions in the ERP Microsoft DYNAMICS 365, paper archiving, vouchers scanning.
- Financial support Verify that purchases have appropriate authorization and are signed by an authorized team member.
- Assist Support Service Team Leader in the closure of accounts at the end of month Provide technical Financial and administrative support to colleagues in Djibouti and field offices.
- Support in the implementation of Financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure transactions are properly recorded and entered into Microsoft Dynamics 365.
- Support logistics in preparing monthly asset lists.
- Maintain Financial files and records in accordance with DRC’s policies and procedures for archiving.
- Scanning and filing relevant Financial documents including supporting documents
- Correctly use DRC Dynamics functionalities in area of concern
- Complete the cash book on a daily basis, ensuring all documents are scanned and archived on DRC’s SharePoint
- Uploading of project expenses (cash book) on a bi-weekly basis to DRC’s ERP system, Microsoft Dynamics 365 and coordinating with the SSTL for cross-checking and posting of transactions.
- Provide quality control of cash and bank transactions, ensuring that all requests for payment are accompanied by the correct documentation as per DRC’s internal checklist of minimum required documentation prior to releasing any cash or transfer requests.
- Act as a cashier, handling the cash for all program and operational expenses carefully and safely and ensuring that weekly safe cash counts are conducted and sent to the Country Office as required.
- Do payments of invoices and suppliers based on DRC Finance systems and procedures
- Prepare receipt, payment and other vouchers as required upon approval.
- Assist monthly salary payment to staff and remit taxes to the authorities.
- Handling cash using Cash Advance system and make sure that cash advance will be closed by the end of the month.
- Handling cash using the Advance Clearance Form and ensure all Financial procedures are carefully followed.
- Give assistance to Support Services Team Leader for handling payment by cheque/transfer payments in accordance with DRC payment guidelines and signatory of Area Manager
- Withdrawals of cash from the bank if requested by Support Services Team Leader and Area Manager
- Collecting Bank statement information by the end of the month and support the SSTL with bank reconciliation on a monthly basis, as per the DRC internal policies and month-end closure checklist.
- Responsible for the bi-weekly submission of project expense journals and their recording on the DRC’s ERP system, Microsoft DYNAMICS 365.
- Filing all Financial documents and make sure that all Financial documents are properly filed and organized according to DRC procedures in hard copy as well as archived on SharePoint by Journal number.
- Scanning of all vouchers and archiving on DRC’s SharePoint on a daily basis for bi-weekly reconciliation.
- Be aware of the potential for loss or fraud in logistical activities and procedures. Pro-actively work to prevent such occurrences by working with relevant tine managers to improve transparency and to ensure the best use of DRC assets and resources.
- Manage and monitor the office filing system for efficiency and ease of retrieval.
- Manage incoming & outgoing correspondence
- Ensure that all visitors and guests to DRC Djibouti are logged in and treated with care and respect.
- Ensure that visas, work permits and/or residency cards for international staff are timely obtained.
- Prepare and submit the monthly staff list and the list of salaries
In this position, you will also be expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for Excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the Lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating Integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values.
University degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
Relevant experience in the domain can be considered in lieu of the university degree in required
- A minimum of 1 year of relevant experience is required, preferably with an international NGO and/or UN Agencies
- The candidate must be fluent in French and have a basic understanding of English would be an asset.
- She/he must also have good communication skills, be able to work independently and energetically, and have a flexible approach to manage and prioritize a high workload and multiple tasks with tight deadlines.
- She/he must be confident and proficient in the use of MS Office, with advanced Excel proficiency.
- She/he must demonstrate a high level of integrity.
The duties and tasks above are given for indication and information purposes. The Danish Refugee Council has the right to update this Job Description according to the development of its Humanitarian activities within its frame of intervention and in accordance with the Djiboutian Labour Law. This Job description is an appendix to the contract and the employer can at any time make changes, after discussions with the employee.