Awaaz.De is a mobile technology company giving voice to those overlooked by the mainstream. We work with commercial institutions, international development agencies, and governments to develop mobile communications solutions for traditionally underserved, disconnected communities. Our purpose is to improve lives through greater access to information.
Spanning voice messaging (IVR), SMS, and web technologies, Awaaz.De’s enterprise SaaS platform lets clients share crucial information with hard-to-reach audiences. As a highly effective and universal tool for mass communication, our impact is Harvard Business School proven, and our innovative approach is Gates Foundation funded. We reach over 2M monthly active users through 200+ clients in 23 Indian states and 6 countries.
Our work is expanding globally. We seek a leader for that expansion, starting in Ethiopia.
Awaaz.De, with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Digital Green, and Precision Agriculture for Development (PAD), is co-leading a consortium of international development organizations in partnership with the Ethiopian Ministry of Agriculture and the Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) to develop a digital agriculture platform. This is a multi-million dollar, 5 year project to design, implement, and roll out a country-scale software platform enabling a range of digital farmer facing services, including ag advisory, input access, and market connectivity.
We’re hiring an Ethiopia Head of Agriculture Technology, responsible for the architecture and delivery of a country-scale open source platform that will impact 15+ million farmers in Ethiopia, and in the future, other countries globally.
Creating a global public good like this for agriculture has never been done before
What you’ll work on:
- Design, implement, test, and deploy for all technical deliverables, report directly to Awaaz.De executive management
- Lead design and development of technical outputs: functional specification, technical architecture, software development, documentation, deployment, and maintenance. This is part product manager, part software architect, part lead software implementer
- Build a world-class team to execute your work-plan, including managers, designers, software developers, QA, dev ops, and data specialists. Head office in Ethiopia, but team may be remote/distributed globally.
- Work side-by-side with Head of Operations as co-leaders to ensure high quality, timely delivery of committed outputs
Who you are:
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and stay calm and productive in the face of complexity
- You have 5+ years experience in digital development or related field
- Deep knowledge of agricultural extension or digital agriculture informatics, a plus
- You have 5+ years leading the design/architecture and implementation of commercial-grade software product (i.e. not services)
- Experience in managing large scale data science, data management, data cleaning project, a plus.
- Open source development experience a plus
- You have 5+ years experience building and managing a team of 10+ people
- You are based in Addis Ababa, or willing to relocate.
- You have exceptional communication skills in an international context. Amharic a huge plus.
What to expect at Awaaz De
- You will work with a mission and answer to a higher calling deserving of your passion and skills
- You will have the opportunity to directly impact farmer’s livelihoods, while working with innovative technology.
- You will work on a globally distributed team spanning three continents and enjoying a flexible schedule.
- You will collaborate with kind, centered, and interesting people
Compensation: Competitive salary by global standards, based on qualifications.
How to Apply:
Send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Ethiopia Head of Technology – FIRSTNAME SURNAME”
- A note about why you’re excited about the opportunity (max. 200 words)
- Your LinkedIn profile URL and updated resume/cv