The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Lead Engineer (Site Engineer) in Addis Ababa
Background Information – UNOPS Ethiopia multi-country office
Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies such as WHO, UNHCR and UNICEF, and other international organizations. In 2014, the UNOPS Executive Director decided to establish the UNOPS Ethiopia multi-country office, which manages and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, as well as Sudan and Djibouti.
UNOPS Ethiopia office activities range from tailor-made administration, operations, human resources, and logistics support for the implementation of development and humanitarian projects; infrastructure and procurement management services; and advisory services to partners to facilitate effective procurement, supply, and financial management.
The UNOPS Ethiopia multi-country office team is composed of approximately 100 national and international women and men and offers a broad range of services such as infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial and human resources management.
Under the coordination of the Infrastructure Unit, the Lead Engineer provides overall management responsibility including technical assistance and expertise in design preparation, construction supervision and works certification on behalf of UNOPS on the assigned site. The position requires frequent travel to project sites in all regional states of Ethiopia.
- General construction
- Construction supervision
- Knowledge management
1. General construction
- Mange the entire project management of the site as per the agreed upon design and specification
- Lead and coordinate the work activities in site along with the Project Manager.
- Act as the representative of UNOPS on the construction site.
- Monitor the project implementation to prevent potential delays and/or cost overruns and recommend remedial actions accordingly.
- Supervise and ensure timely implementation of activities as per the quality standard
- Prepare project related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meeting minutes, engineer’s instructions and variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand-over documents and contracts close-out reports.
- Manage final hand over and acceptance report based on technical specifications against the approved project.
- Provide bi-monthly project progress report to the Project Manager/Head of Programme
2. Construction supervision
- Ensure that the contractor adhere to the national standards, policies and regulations during the construction activity.
- Handle the stakeholders management aspect of the project at the respective site
- Supervise construction works and administer works execution as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications.
- Responsible of ensuring quantity/quality control and time schedule consistency.
- Ensure that works are consistent with the project technical specifications and inform promptly of eventual deviations.
- Verify the accuracy of the schedule and adjust accordingly to the reality of the implementation.
- Ensure constructions works are completed on time, within budget and to quality standards.
- Provide regular supervision of the project work progress and quality for on time delivery.
- Maintain regular meetings with contractor representative on the performance of the implementation.
- Implement corrective measures to ensure the project is properly executed within the agreed standards of quality, time and budget.
3. Knowledge management
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.Keep regular meetings with peer site engineers to benefit from each other experiences.
- A Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management or related field is required.
- A combination of Bachelor’s degree with additional 2 years of relevant work experience (7 years in total) may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
B. Work Experience
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience related to project requirements in civil engineering, construction management, and construction project supervision is required.
- Experience in project management and supervision in areas outside of Addis Ababa is an asset.
C. Language Requirements:
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Please note this position is a local position so it is only open for national of Ethiopia
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor
Contract level: LICA 10
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Please use the below link to apply for the position
Closing date: 10 Nov 2019