Mercy Corps is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of LIWAY Team Leader, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In a disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004, working in rural, peri-urban and urban areas in five regional states – Somali, Oromia, Afar, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples, Amhara – and the capital city of Addis Ababa. We engage in both development and humanitarian work and seek to integrate approaches, programs, and geographies as much as possible. Our partners include government, academic institutions, development, and private sector actors, civil societies and communities.
Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: LIWAY Team Leader
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
Open Position: 1
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps is one of three partners in a five-year program, entitled Livelihoods Improvement for Women and Youth in Addis Ababa (LI-WAY), led by SNV Netherlands Development Organization and funded by the Swedish International Development Organization (Sida). LI-WAY utilizes a making Markets work for the Poor (M4P) approach to contribute to sustainable poverty reduction and social stability for 200,000 women and youth in Addis Ababa. The consortium additionally comprises Technoserve and Save the Children. The program aims to improve market functions, improve support-service effectiveness and improve the business environment. MC will lead the Labor Market Sector and all activities related to financial services and market information systems, and will manage the Innovation Fund. LI-WAY lasts for five years of which the first ten months will be an inception phase.
General Position Summary
The SIDA Team Leader will lead the overall Mercy Corps’ component of the project, ensuring harmonization between this work and that of other partners within the overall approach and direction of the LI-WAY program, and the strategy of Mercy Corps Ethiopia.
Essential Job Responsibilities
The Team Lead for Labor Market sector and Innovation Fund is responsible for overall management and implementation of MC’s thematic areas of Labor Market sector and overall market systems development in the priority sectors, including management of Innovation Fund.
Key job functions include the following:
- Provide overall management, coordination and leadership to the MC-LIWAY team
- Maintain constructive and collaborative relationships between the MC-LIWAY team and the overall LIWAY team, donors, partners, stakeholders and other MC Ethiopia and global program and support units
- Develop, implement, monitor progress of work plans that can be adaptively managed
- Support overall learning initiative of the program for policy change
- Develop key monitoring and measuring indicators, milestones and plans; monitor and reporting all output, outcome and impact indicators for respective market system(s)
- Ensure the program captures and responds to up-to-date information about market developments within respective market systems and global best practices for Economic & Markets Development.
Specific job Functions Include
- Build up the team: recruit, induct and set the tone for a strong and collaborative team; provide professional and technical mentorship
- Lead analysis of market system functions in Addis Ababa in manufacturing and service sectors; assess key challenges to inclusiveness, productivity and efficiency
- Coordinate and provide technical guidance to Lead assessment of Labor Market Sector including understanding constraints related to accessing job and labor market information, access to financial service, technology to enhance job matching efforts, different cross sectoral innovations across LIWAY priority sectors
- Lead diagnostic assessments of formal, private sector employers and employment agencies in Addis Ababa to identify business and labor market needs (including both soft and hard skills gaps). Identify constraints and opportunities relevant to broader market systems for youth and women labor market and training market systems for youth and women in Addis Ababa
- Design strategies for improving market system performance, including making business strategies more inclusive and beneficial to enterprise productivity
- Develop business strategies to increase inclusive employment opportunities for women and youth
- Develop innovation fund manual and manage innovation fund that selects specific markets and intervention areas in which strategic grants would serve to strengthen the overall market system
- Support overall development of learning platform to be utilized throughout life of program
- Strengthen and create linkage between technology providers with MFIs to adopt new technologies and system that can expand outreach of their inclusive financial service to create access to financial service to target beneficiaries.
- Facilitate Market Information Systems for business linkages to link enterprises (SMEs) to opportunities. Establish MIS platforms and systems to link demand information, business opportunities, market price information and beyond.
- Oversee program startup and ongoing program management and administration of teams across.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Develop partners’ MoUs and contracts & oversee training programs for program partners.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Fulfill Mercy Corps’ Program Management Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide.
- Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps’ Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards.
STRATEGY & VISION
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
FINANCE & COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT
- Closely work with country finance team on monthly BVAs, to ensure whether expenses are in line with budgeted items
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Review and/or draft scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
INFLUENCE & REPRESENTATION
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
Knowledge and Experience
- Deep understanding and mastery of Markets4Poor approach and Economic & Markets Development facilitation including coaching, relationship building, communicating, entrepreneurialism/business understanding and innovating
- Familiar with all aspects of the relevant market systems including key actors, Employers, Technology provider’s, micro-financial institutions (MFIs), banks, Insurances, information service providers, inputs suppliers, producers, traders, intermediary and terminal markets governance frameworks (formal and informal); and all support markets and functions;
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, business administration, agribusiness, or other related field, or commensurate private sector or field experience is required
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in private sector or working with other agencies in market systems facilitation, agribusiness or financial services
- Fluent in English and Amharic
- Business-minded, entrepreneurial, adaptive, curious, great problem-solving skills, unafraid to ask questions, and results motivated.
- Excellent communication, facilitation and networking skills with a wide range of private, partner and NGO-sector actors
- Computer literate especially in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicants, personal inquiries are not permitted.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity, and diversity. Qualified female and young candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empowering women and youth.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 12 September 2019/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address:
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974