Mercy Corps is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior Market Systems Development Technical Specialist-Diversified Economic Opportunities in Addis Ababa
The position is contingent on new funding
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In a disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004, working in rural, peri-urban and urban areas in five regional states – Somali, Oromia, Afar, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples, Amhara – and the capital city of Addis Ababa. We engage in both development and humanitarian work and seek to integrate approaches, programs, and geographies as much as possible. Our partners include government, academic institutions, development, and private sector actors, civil societies and communities. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: Senior Market Systems Development Technical specialist-Diversified Economic Opportunities
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
Open Position: 1
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been present in Ethiopia since 2004 and acts on behalf of people who have become disenfranchised and poor. We stand with Ethiopia to find and access opportunities, and to be part of lasting and meaningful transformation in the country. Mercy Corps seeks to be influential with government and development actors towards a more resilient country where poverty is tackled through the eyes of those who understand it best. This translates into ensuring that the population is financially stable, healthy & nourished, educated & unformed and that natural resources are accessible, shared and utilized sustainably.
Mercy Corps anticipates a multi-year, multi-million dollar USAID funded initiative focused on stimulating increased production, productivity, and marketing through more competitive livestock and livestock products markets; increasing communities’ resilience; diversifying livelihood economic opportunities and options through essential skills transfer; improving food security and nutrition, and contributing to the wider knowledge on pastoral development. The program will operate in multiple pastoral regions across Ethiopia.
General Position Summary
The Senior Market Systems Development Advisor for Diversified Economic Opportunities is a key member of the Market Systems Development (MSD) unit. The MSD Team uses a market-systems, community-led approach to stimulate economic growth creating wealth and jobs for the poorest while maximizing investment from the private and public sectors. The MSD team is comprised of technical expertise in the areas of employment, input/output markets, post-harvest technologies, and financial services. Its main sectors include livestock and livestock products, agriculture, energy, financial services, light industry, and labor/employment.
The Senior Market Systems Development Advisor-Diversified Economic Opportunities, the immediate objective is to develop & facilitate clear pathways for market system development, expansion, and technology transfer under the Diversified Economic Opportunities component for PARA clusters. The Advisor will identify and guide opportunities and constraints of the market system across all clusters and link those back to Diversified Economic opportunities. S/he must familiarize themselves and project partners in the cluster with the Concept Note (CN) activity development, approval and reporting processes, and ensure CNs originated by project partners in the cluster are efficiently supported and approved by the Addis-based Advisory team.
● Develops own deep understanding and mastery of ‘economic and market systems strengthening facilitation’ including coaching, relationship building, communicating, entrepreneurialism/business understanding and innovating;
● facilitate clear pathway for inclusive employment, entrepreneurship, and financial service through identifying opportunities and constraints of the people transitioning out of pastoralism with a primary focus on women and youth across Somali and Afar regions.
● Coordinate assessments and analysis in PARA clusters across diverse market system function to understand constraints and identify opportunities for employment/job creation across various private and public actors
● Becomes intimately familiar with all aspects of the relevant market systems the project is targeting including key actors (public and private training providers/TVETs, producers, traders, information service providers, warehouses, transporters, financiers, employment service providers, intermediary and terminal markets); governance frameworks (formal and informal); and all support markets and functions;
● Strengthens private sector development in the regions and in Ethiopia by bringing new ideas and initiatives to Market System Development team and overall project and country program;
● Facilitate Market Information Systems for business linkages to link enterprises (SMEs) to opportunities
● Designs, conducts, measures and documents assessments of training providers, employers across a wide range, technology providers in particular financial services, employment/labor market services and I information,
● Develops key monitoring and measuring indicators, milestones and plans in close collaboration with supervisor and M&E team, and solely responsible for monitoring and reporting all output, outcome and impact indicators for the respective market system(s);
● Conducts her/himself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
REPRESENTATION AND COORDINATION
● Liaise with local government officials, local NGOs and civil society organizations, local religious leaders and other notables to ensure support for and acceptance of Mercy Corps’ programs.
● Maintain close working relationships with donors, other humanitarian and development organizations, and local partners, including representing Mercy Corps at local coordination meetings as assigned.
● Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
● Build effective relationships with program teams implementing Disaster risk reduction, Livestock/crop production and productivity, nutrition, gender and WASH components across the consortium, based on mutual trust, collaboration, urgency, and curiosity
● Assist team members with information, tools, and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
● Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally
● Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
● Support orientation of field team members with a focus on MSD
● Play a program leadership role for employment, financial inclusion or energy-specific programming.
● Work closely with the country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that promote the safety and security of all team members.
● Ensure that programs are designed and implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security.
● As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA in business, finance, agriculture, agribusiness, agricultural economics, or related field
- 4-5 years’ work experience with a for-profit organization, non-governmental organization (NGO) or profitagribusiness working with vulnerable, marginalized and pastoralists/agro-pastoralist groups.
- 3+ years’ proven experience in innovative value chain development or business models using best practices.
- Knowledge and experience working on diversified livelihood issues in the pastoral areas, especially associated with individuals transitioning out of pastoralism.
- Experience with the development, implementation & compliance of donor-funded programs including USAID agreements and strong understanding of USAID rules, regulations and compliance issues
- Established the ability to manage and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles.
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving
- Experience working with host governments, national and international NGOs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Internationally recognized qualification in project or program management or a commitment to obtain the qualification in the early months of work.
A successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to lead and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles and cultures, follow procedures and meet deadlines with flexibility and creativity in planning and problem-solving. S/he will have a proven ability to learn quickly, multi-task, prioritize, take initiative, and be accountable for results, understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details, problem-solving, work within a complex and sensitive setting and to follow laws and security protocols. The most successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The Diversified Economic Opportunities Technical Manager is based in the capital city – Addis Ababa. This position requires 35% travel by road and air to field offices in often insecure environments.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs, and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicants, personal inquiries are not permitted.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female and young candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women and youth.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL job APPLICATIONS: 21 October 2019/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address:
Note: Please make sure that you mention the position title in the subject line of your email application.
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974
Find Latest jobs Vacancy in Ethiopia